Verified:

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 14:01:25

I was attacked by a country 6 times by a PS. Did not break GDI rule on him. Now want to attack back, just a few hours after and it tells me that I can't. There are so many rules in this game to block attacks, it is becoming ridiculous. The Primary server is the worst of all. Let's come back to some free way of playing like it used to be under Earth 2025. I suspect strong players to be behind the rules to protect themselves.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2022, 14:09:25

Based on your mention of primary and it not being the final day of express, my guess is that this is due to the general humanitarian range. It varies from server to server, but for primary, if you want to hit someone more than 4x larger (smaller) than you, you need to grow (or drop) your NW. This has been a common tactic for a decade - you farm someone that you don't think will be able to retaliate and then increase your NW out of their range to help ensure it.

In this case, I don't think it's an issue of the game, but your understanding of the server and mechanics in general.

Side note - are you the one who often gets into war with people because you SS and don't accept PS as a retal? If so, most servers make their own rules, but 1:1 attacks is pretty common so if you think someone can hit you back, you'll probably want to PS to not come out losing even more.

Edited By: Tertius on Oct 19th 2022, 19:28:27

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2022, 18:50:25

If someone attacks you, the defender should be allowed to attack back regardless of humanitarians.

It is a lame tactic experienced players use on noobs. Let the noobs fight back!

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2022, 19:41:59

Originally posted by Tertius:
Based on your mention of primary and it not being the final day of express, my guess is that this is due to the general humanitarian range. It varies from server to server, but for primary, if you want to hit someone more than 4x larger (smaller) than you, you need to grow (or drop) your NW. This has been a common tactic for a decade - you farm someone that you don't think will be able to retaliate and then increase your NW out of their range to help ensure it.

In this case, I don't think it's an issue of the game, but your understanding of the server and mechanics in general.

Side note - are you the one who often gets into war with people because you SS and don't accept PS as a retal? If so, most servers make their own rules, but 1:1 attacks is pretty common so if you think someone can hit you back, you'll probably want to PS to not come out losing even more.

Yes it's him.

Originally posted by Requiem:
If someone attacks you, the defender should be allowed to attack back regardless of humanitarians.

You can by using the same tactic they use to farm him and it's actually easier to get into range of someone larger than the opposite, for 10m NW you need to be 2.5m NW. If he (the bigger country)goes to 12m you need to go to 3m, so while he's buying 2m you're only needing 500k to catch him again, all he needs to do is learn the mechanics and use them against the larger country.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 20:05:06

The fact that I SS or get back a SP has nothing to do with this comment. You did exactly what I expected. Just justify that all is good and fair, while it's not. Anyways, keep the rules to protect the large players. No wonder this game does not have that many players even around the world. Very disappointed with the so many rules that are made to protect the large countries. Much easier to drop NW then to gain NW when you have been attacked 6 times.

Tmac Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 20:18:52

Humanitarian range protects small countries just the same as large. Imagine what would happen to those poor 1m nw countries without it.

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 20:37:27

Well, if a big country decides to attack, there should be a period during which it could be reattacked. It's way too easy to attack and then escape by growing your NW. But, I have already seen that here not much improvement is possible.

BTW, KoHeartsGPA, I don't think any question was asked you. It was asked to me, so let's come to a mind your own business approach... Maybe you should find something else to do then writing your 27112th message by responding an arrogant message back, as I am used to see from you.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2022, 21:20:49

Originally posted by Tmac:
Humanitarian range protects small countries just the same as large. Imagine what would happen to those poor 1m nw countries without it.

If attacked it should let the defender attack back. It wouldn't negate the protection it otherwise offers from the aggressor or any other country.

Basically if someone attacks you, they shouldn't be able to jump in NW to avoid retaliation.

And KoH you say that but there are many posts from noobs grumbling about this issue.

Tmac Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 21:48:15

Req-It looks like TheStupid was able to figure out how to retal using the current game mechanics. The complaints I see are always because they don't understand the rules. Tert taught him after he asked and bam! He could've also read the server details page.

TheStupid-It's not easy to gain 4x the nw of another country, it's easy to gain 25% though.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2022, 21:51:04

Originally posted by TheStupid:
Well, if a big country decides to attack, there should be a period during which it could be reattacked. It's way too easy to attack and then escape by growing your NW. But, I have already seen that here not much improvement is possible.

BTW, KoHeartsGPA, I don't think any question was asked you. It was asked to me, so let's come to a mind your own business approach... Maybe you should find something else to do then writing your 27112th message by responding an arrogant message back, as I am used to see from you.

Ok i was only helping you, i guess I'll have to farm you and jump for that RoR you did, i wasn't gonna but you're asking for it....
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 21:51:54

I agree with Requiem. The rules are ok to avoid suiciders, but should at least allow to retaliate even if a country is 4 times bigger…. But I am probably chatting with many who are biased here.

Tmac Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 22:07:06

I'm not biased at all, I would do even better without humanitarian range yet I'm defending it. Gdi protects me from suicides, not hr.

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 22:40:53

Tmac. Don’t feel pointed at. I have come here a few times and the only thing that happens is that people are bully and I was told it was ok to be bully. There is absolutely no desire to change anything. Just justification that all is good. I am just saying here that the protection should be disabled when a big country attacks a small one to allow retaliation. A large country should not be able to hide itself with a high NW after an attack. I think it makes a lot of sense to protect small countries that get attacked anyways many times…

Tmac Game profile

Oct 19th 2022, 23:09:19

In your original post you expressed confusion and placed blame on strong players. Strong players responded with helpful info. Don't you agree? You didn't know how to fight back, and then we showed you.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2022, 23:41:12

In your original post you expressed confusion and placed blame on strong players. Strong players responded with helpful info. Don't you agree? You didn't know how to fight back, and then we showed you.

But I guess I'm a bully for giving him a blue print on how to fight back 🤷😁
(•_•)

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 20th 2022, 2:33:19

Tmac, my comment does not have anything to do with what was told on this thread of posts. I thank you for your advice. I still believe the game protects too much the large players.

My comment about arrogance is related to past messages from a single individual who uses this forum to bully others freely and always find a good excuse for his comments. Don't worry, nothing to do with you.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 6:03:08

Tmac, my comment does not have anything to do with what was told on this thread of posts. I thank you for your advice. I still believe the game protects too much the large players.

My comment about arrogance is related to past messages from a single individual who uses this forum to bully others freely and always find a good excuse for his comments. Don't worry, nothing to do with you.

LOL I haven't sent you not one single message and everything I wrote is available for everyone to view, you can't get over me calling you an idiot for complaining about getting rEkT and crying about it on the forums, and i find that hysterical.....yes I'm going to poke fun at you, that's not bullying, stop misusing the language, poking fun is not one of the same as bullying, if you think it is then pick up your ball and go to your safe space 🤷
(•_•)

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 12:35:22

Req-It looks like TheStupid was able to figure out how to retal using the current game mechanics. The complaints I see are always because they don't understand the rules. Tert taught him after he asked and bam! He could've also read the server details page.

TheStupid-It's not easy to gain 4x the nw of another country, it's easy to gain 25% though.

Good for him, but it is still abusing game mechanics to farm people who are less experienced. They could missile retal if they were hit 6 times by a NW jumper.

It's still abusing the game mechanics to try and get away with farming someone else by hiding behind the humanitarian mechanic. It wasn't put in the game to protect more experienced players from farming noobs. And it happens every set.

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 20th 2022, 13:34:13

KoHeartsGPA: Get a life. Spending your days here and writing this number of messages is definitely not a sign of good mental health... It may explain a few things. Can't wait to see your response to show that you have the last word :-) I will anyway ignore your response.

Edited By: TheStupid on Oct 20th 2022, 13:58:20
See Original Post

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 13:58:45

I'm not against the idea, Req - the trouble is in the details, and how it would vary by server.

Would the HR be removed for only X amount of time? If we set a time, does that implicitly reinforce expected retal windows, which for solo servers have always been based on what you can enforce? If we don't set a time, how would it change in the final turns of a server?

Would HR be removed for both sides during that time? it seems unfair to also let the "other" side get free hits in retalliation. This would probably lead to more farming by bigger players, as typically the fighting stops when they've outgrown them, but now that could continue indefinitely (which then may require specific HR DR for SS/PS?)

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 14:08:00

The details can be worked out, but first, people must admit it's not good game design.

It's mostly a problem on Primary or any server w a smaller humanitarian range. It's a non-issue on, say, alliance where the range is 12x vs. 4x

There have been people quit the game over it. Just search the forums :D

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 14:27:37

KoHeartsGPA: Get a life. Spending your days here and writing this number of messages is definitely not a sign of good mental health... It may explain a few things. Can't wait to see your response to show that you have the last word :-) I will anyway ignore your response.

🤦
(•_•)

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 14:42:52

I'm not biased at all, I would do even better without humanitarian range yet I'm defending it. Gdi protects me from suicides, not hr.

It has not been suggested to remove HR. This was not put on the table. The suggestion was to make a modification that will allow someone who has been attacked several times to be able to retal regardless of the HR range you jumped into so the game mechanic protects you post-farming.

Don't be disingenuous with what is being said.

Tmac Game profile

Oct 20th 2022, 16:17:38

I'm just trying to understand your suggestion req. Sure, big countries hit others and then jump out of range(purposely or naturally), but small countries could jump into range to drop missiles and then drop nw out of range which takes advantage of the rule too. I see big countries get burned trying this strategy all the time. I don't see what's unfair about a rule that applies the same to everyone. Turning hr off for one side but not the other would be unfair though.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 16:27:28

Turning off HR for the larger country will push players to become even more aggressive at grabbing, so it could potentially be counter effective if we want to really get analytical about it, if i know HR won't protect me vs smaller countries i will become more hostile to smaller countries that so they can do less damage to me, people will adjust and the bigger you are the more tools you have, also at what point in size do you determine where to turn off HR? 2x, 3x, 4x? Lots of moving parts here, like I said before.....

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
Originally posted by Tertius:

Yes it's him.

Originally posted by Requiem:

You can by using the same tactic they use to farm him and it's actually easier to get into range of someone larger than the opposite, for 10m NW you need to be 2.5m NW. If he (the bigger country)goes to 12m you need to go to 3m, so while he's buying 2m you're only needing 500k to catch him again, all he needs to do is learn the mechanics and use them against the larger country.
(•_•)

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 18:17:22

KoH I don't think you understand what I am saying.

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 20th 2022, 18:55:05

He clearly does not understand... When you think you are superior to others like this KoH guy, then you think you understand better than all and you are not listening or reading... You then tend to explain those idiots what you as a superior human being had so clearly understood a long time ago in your passing to being a God!

With that said. The idea here is not to drop the rule. The rule is ok, except for the fact that in a certain delay after attacking more than once and then jumping, the smaller country should be allowed to retaliate. If you attack me, even if you're big, I should be able to retaliate. Let's not try to extend the comment to more than it is.

Cheers

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 19:02:44

☝️Gets it.

KoH is a nice guy Mr. Stupid. Don't let text only communication get you so upset. I'm sure whatever he said to you before was not how you took it.

Anyway, this topic has reached its conclusion for me. Take it, leave it, or pretend you don't understand it. 🤘

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 20:07:09

I understand but i don't know that adding an HR disabling timer is possible at this time with no developers available, people are being blocked from creating an account, and that's easy to fix ....
(•_•)

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 20th 2022, 20:53:11

Requiem: There are not many ways to take it when the guy calls you an idiot, which is totally allowed here. I don't even know the guy and he does not know me. You must think you are greater than greatness when you call other idiots in a public forum.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2022, 21:44:19

Requiem: There are not many ways to take it when the guy calls you an idiot, which is totally allowed here. I don't even know the guy and he does not know me. You must think you are greater than greatness when you call other idiots in a public forum.

I called YOU an idiot over a month ago for multi tapping people and then crying on the forums complaining that you got rEkT, get over it snowflake!

Edited By: KoHeartsGPA on Oct 20th 2022, 21:53:20
(•_•)

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 20th 2022, 21:56:25

Did you write anything?

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Oct 21st 2022, 15:27:27

If you want to discuss suggestions for how to change the game please keep the tone civil.

In regards to making suggestions it's hard to get a handle on what the suggestion really is.

But having read all this it's mostly been said before.

The way it works is not perfect, I think we can all agree to that. At the same time Primary in a way is the most unchanged environment to the old days, with grabbing players and having a very competetive server where people either make it or get farmed. I've been on both ends of that so I know it's not fun when you are on the other end.

But then again there are other servers, and bots were created in express, alliance and FFA so that people wouldn't get farmed out of the game, and tournament and team allows you to compete while only exploring. In a holistic sense even if we had a good full proposal (which we don't) it would be problematic to make a change here when this environment is so unique and some players seem to genuinely this kind of environment.

Over the years I have seen a lot of half-thoughts on how to solve this issue with people jumping out of range, and personally I think good players will adapt to most of them and we will still have the same kind of scores list with the same people on top.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Oct 21st 2022, 15:27:42

What bothers me about some proposals is how they encourage and obfuscate cheating: You say it should be the same both ways and that hits of some kind should allow for retals for X hours. Well that also means that a dedicated landfarm can be played at low NW, be unreachable by the rest of the players in the game and make himself farmable by sending a few meaningless GS/cruise missiles every now and then to the player he wants to give land to.

That is a big problem. The most blatant cases may be found by mods and deleted, but it will take time and effort to look through every case because this will be a very hard thing to evaluate. How do you guage intent here? If Tmac hits a newish player, jumps out of range and gets retalled with a few undamaging attacks, that means he can keep farming the player(who is out of range), and he will if the game allows him.
It will be a problem for the integrity of the competitive nature because cheaters who intend to cheat in sophisticated ways will get away with this, and fair legit players will be doing things that look like cheating. This will occur every single round.

Edited By: Gerdler on Oct 21st 2022, 15:30:50

SuperFly Game profile

Oct 21st 2022, 18:42:34

Originally posted by Gerdler:
What bothers me about some proposals is how they encourage and obfuscate cheating: You say it should be the same both ways and that hits of some kind should allow for retals for X hours. Well that also means that a dedicated landfarm can be played at low NW, be unreachable by the rest of the players in the game and make himself farmable by sending a few meaningless GS/cruise missiles every now and then to the player he wants to give land to.

That is a big problem. The most blatant cases may be found by mods and deleted, but it will take time and effort to look through every case because this will be a very hard thing to evaluate. How do you guage intent here? If Tmac hits a newish player, jumps out of range and gets retalled with a few undamaging attacks, that means he can keep farming the player(who is out of range), and he will if the game allows him.
It will be a problem for the integrity of the competitive nature because cheaters who intend to cheat in sophisticated ways will get away with this, and fair legit players will be doing things that look like cheating. This will occur every single round.

Honest question here; are you suggesting that tmac is running a land farm in primary?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 21st 2022, 18:52:30

We didn’t go over implementation details, leave that to the devs.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Oct 21st 2022, 19:47:58

Originally posted by SuperFly:
Originally posted by Gerdler:

Honest question here; are you suggesting that tmac is running a land farm in primary?

It's not even remotely close to what I said, no. The changes that are being proposed are not actually in effect, are they?

I'm saying that if the changes that are frequently suggested end up being implemented Tmac, myself, KoH, Lightbringer and probably you as well will occasionally be indistinguishable from people who are running landfarms in primary. It is the direct effect of the rules that retals skip humanitarians range.

Now I'm sure a very intricate mechanic can be programmed to prevent this, but we have very simple rules right now and they are constantly being misunderstood.
Simple solutions are preferable and have never seen a simple suggestion that solves the issue and can be moderated justly.

Tmac Game profile

Oct 21st 2022, 19:49:10

Superfly is my land farm in primary. Haha, sorry SF, couldn't resist.

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 21st 2022, 19:55:29

Gelder: I have no problem keeping the discussion civil, but it has to be applicable to everyone. I have been called an idiot by someone here and this was sanctioned, as I was told we are allowed to call people idiots. So, as long as the rules are the same for everyone, I am totally aligned. If the rules are not the same for all, then there is a problem. I do not even believe that person is civil enough to simply apologize and state that this was a mistake. It takes something that I am not sure this person has. I will stop here on this subject.

One nuance to all the proposal. Maybe there is something that I don't see, but what I was proposing is not to open the war channels both ways. If you are being farmed by a strong country that escapes after jumping, what I am saying is that there should be an allowance for retaliations, to certain limits. At least enough to make the farming not worth it, if the small country has what it takes to fight back. The other way around would then get the small country probably killed. So, the proposal is to allow for retaliation, then reapply the rule, but only attacks possible of the small on the large.

Now, this is where we get, I believe, into the biased zone. I am sure that most who are working at improving this game are in the top players. So, it's not something in favor of strong players, but it could protect smaller players and keep get a strong player to hesitate and think twice before attacking a small player. It is way too easy to check players that are very close to the limit, accumulate turns, attack and then jump. Not rocket science.

Tmac Game profile

Oct 21st 2022, 20:05:32

So, as long as the rules are the same for everyone, I am totally aligned. If the rules are not the same for all, then there is a problem.

Absolutely right, that's why I don't like your suggestion.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 21st 2022, 21:29:28

So, as long as the rules are the same for everyone, I am totally aligned. If the rules are not the same for all, then there is a problem.

Absolutely right, that's why I don't like your suggestion.

He just made our point lol
(•_•)

TheStupid Game profile

Oct 22nd 2022, 1:13:07

Tmac, for the rules to be the same for all, I am talking about the behavior of an arrogant person here. Not the rule for the game.

But, as I mentioned for the game rule, I am absolutely convinced that the strong countries will not agree, as there is much to lose for them to the detriment of the small ones. As mentioned, I think this game would have more players if it was not made mostly for the strong players.

Cheers

Crippler ICD Game profile

Oct 22nd 2022, 1:18:14

Real question- why is this post even on this forum, its neither a bug nor a suggestion.
Crippler
FoCuS
<--MSN
CripplerTD

[14:26] <enshula> i cant believe im going to say this
[14:26] <enshula> crippler is giving us correct netting advice

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 22nd 2022, 1:29:42

Tmac, for the rules to be the same for all, I am talking about the behavior of an arrogant person here. Not the rule for the game.

But, as I mentioned for the game rule, I am absolutely convinced that the strong countries will not agree, as there is much to lose for them to the detriment of the small ones. As mentioned, I think this game would have more players if it was not made mostly for the strong players.

Cheers

You're missing one key point, we all start with 0 turns and exactly equally built countries, what you do with that is on YOU, just because YOU play less efficiently than others doesn't mean the game is rigged.

Edited By: Gerdler on Oct 22nd 2022, 2:24:26. Reason: Kindly, keep a civil tone, please!
(•_•)

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 22nd 2022, 16:39:01

Damn you Gerd! :P
(•_•)

Uticant Game profile

Oct 22nd 2022, 16:58:45

tldr;

Please refrain from calling “TheStupid” an idiot

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 22nd 2022, 17:01:41

Right? I'll start calling him by his name....lol
(•_•)

Uticant Game profile

Oct 22nd 2022, 17:37:17

But yeah, this thread is fairly pointless. Seems like 4x is fine for primary. Everyone starts on a level playing field at the start of every round, so if someone grows to be 4x your size, that is on you and can be improved by improving your play which is incentivized by seeing what happens when you can’t keep pace. There is literally 20 yr old strat information on the forum to allow you to do this and the ffa server to run trials to implement the ideas or get better at running all explores that runs 1x a week.

And yes, if you are on the border of HR in primary you well be fodder for players who are better. The question is TheStupid, how do you change the way you play to prevent this from happening?

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Oct 22nd 2022, 21:49:43

This thread started as a complaint and turned into a discussion of suggestions.

In the future this board is for bugs and suggestions and not really a space for complaints.

Either way I think its gone far enough and far enough off course that I will just lock it.

If anyone has an actual suggestion or have found a bug here on the forum, please feel free to post about it, but also be ready to discuss it in a civil tone.