Verified:

Doug Game profile

May 8th 2023, 14:09:26

Friday before last I spoke to Grumpy Old Man aka Dan. We spoke often for more than a decade. He wasn’t just a player but a real friend. On Saturday, the cancer that riddled his body took over, lesions on his brain stopped any speech or alertness. I traveled to Iowa to say goodbye this week. Our friend will be 63 this Saturday the 13th. However, he’s had no food or water since last Saturday. I was his medical POA as his family wasn’t in touch for 8 years. I managed to bring his sons to the table and broker peace and allow them to sign off on hospice and the POA. Being 10 hours away wasn’t feasible or fair.

Dan has days left. He played quietly on all servers and loved this game and made some friends. He was with PDM since day 1.

We will miss grumpy old man, and we ask for your thoughts or prayers as he makes his final journey home. I will be returning to Iowa this week to send our old friend on his next journey.

Lastly, regardless of game politics. I think scripture tells us “Joy comment in the morning” - I hope so, for all of our sake. Thanks.

Doug
Secretary of State
Paradigm (PDM)

Edited By: Doug on May 8th 2023, 14:12:50
Paradigm Senator
My Discord: twink_attack
Contact Auk (Happy on discord) for PDM hFa issues.
His Discord: happytheexceed

myerr21 Game profile

May 8th 2023, 14:25:00

I dont know him or you, but im sorry this is happening. <3
Elders

gains [23:16:55] * Myerr!*@* added to ignore list

cloud-superfly: CP is ok

Doug Game profile

May 8th 2023, 14:27:31

Originally posted by myerr21:
I dont know him or you, but im sorry this is happening. <3

Thanks. We appreciate the kindness
Paradigm Senator

TeckMing Game profile

May 8th 2023, 14:33:06

RIP

Leto Game profile

May 8th 2023, 14:36:59

Thank you for sharing Doug. I know that this is a difficult time in our thoughts and prayers are with yall.

Dan definitely was one of a kind and just a solid guy overall. Dan did not have the easiest life but he lived life on his own terms. For those of y'all that don't know, Dan was a skeptic to the Core, he definitely had his views and he was a lot of fun to be around. Dan was the type of guy that would talk to anyone about anything and to help them to understand whatever problems they may be having. Dan did have strong opinions and you would have to attempt to prove him wrong to get your point across. In the process you would discover something about yourself when talking to him.

I had been really proud of his growth over time, when you work alongside someone for long enough you can see that the inches turn to feet the feet to miles. His story continues to be written and he may not be with us physically but he will always be in our hearts.

The world is definitely going to be changed with the loss of our good friend, we were blessed to have known him and to have him in our lives. Please keep his family and his close friends in your prayers during this challenging time. This is not goodbye my friend but until we meet again.

Leto

Tmac Game profile

May 8th 2023, 14:53:31

Sad to hear ☹️

Link Game profile

May 8th 2023, 15:33:44

sorry to hear about your loss
Link.

I Am a meat popsicle.

Elders
ICN
NBK
PanLV
SALT
MaK
Valks
CwG

HEMPMAN1 Game profile

May 8th 2023, 16:04:13

Dan is a great guy.. has been a member of xUISx in Team for awhile now. Always followed rules and always willing to help out his Team.. this is sad news as i was completely unaware he was even ill. He is a great dude and will definitely be missed.. we at xUISx will blaze a fatty in your honor sir. Take care my friend until we meet again.

Edited By: HEMPMAN1 on May 8th 2023, 16:46:01

HH Game profile

EE Patron

May 8th 2023, 16:21:24

Sorry to hear :(
HeadHunter

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

May 8th 2023, 17:06:18

Sad to hear - I concur with hemp; after a brief misunderstanding on team, I chatted with him quite a bit and suggested he join xUISx so he could net in peace. He'd be the first to say you can't teach old dogs new tricks, but Leto is absolutely right that the inches turned to feet etc and you could see the advice from his friends taking root. Glad he always had the PDM family, and even moreso that he has that real life connection with you, Doug.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

May 8th 2023, 17:43:52

:( RIP Grumpy Old Man.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 8th 2023, 17:56:38

R.I.P
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Doug Game profile

May 8th 2023, 18:10:22

Originally posted by Tertius:
Sad to hear - I concur with hemp; after a brief misunderstanding on team, I chatted with him quite a bit and suggested he join xUISx so he could net in peace. He'd be the first to say you can't teach old dogs new tricks, but Leto is absolutely right that the inches turned to feet etc and you could see the advice from his friends taking root. Glad he always had the PDM family, and even moreso that he has that real life connection with you, Doug.

To you and Hemp,

Dan knew playing on other servers meant still behaving and to never bring it over to alliance. He often mentioned Hemp and his team play. He also drove me crazy with late night FaceTime calls about his 16 FFA countries.

Thank you both. He had alot of time on his hands the last year, and didn’t speak of his illness nor did I ever mention it until a few weeks ago when he told PDM.
But he truly loved interacting and having a place to occupy his time and mind.
Paradigm Senator

Doug Game profile

May 8th 2023, 18:11:28

Originally posted by galleri:
:( RIP Grumpy Old Man.

Thanks galleri and KOH.

Galleri just recently helped him get his forum handle fixed since 2017 lol but he rarely spoke publicly. Thank you both as well.
Paradigm Senator

HEMPMAN1 Game profile

May 8th 2023, 19:14:34

Good guy and will be missed by all who knew and interacted with him.. I hope he has peace in whatever time he has left..

Link Game profile

May 8th 2023, 19:44:20

if he was rolling with UIS... i will smoke a bowl in his honor
Link.

I Am a meat popsicle.

Elders
ICN
NBK
PanLV
SALT
MaK
Valks
CwG

HEMPMAN1 Game profile

May 8th 2023, 20:16:31

Yes.. his country is Grumpy Old Man..

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 8th 2023, 20:34:48

:(

Doug Game profile

May 8th 2023, 21:48:42

Well Grumpy old man (Dan) did enjoy his nightly 11pm beer. Or beers. So raise a glass or smoke one if you got one for him.

Hemp and those on team he loved playing there too. He was stubborn. But always online to chat. I spoke to him almost nightly. I remember my boring side jobs sitting somewhere trying to stay awake and he’d often stay up all hours keeping me company at work.

The only update today is his morphine and Ativan are increased, he’s breathing shallow, and per his wishes no tubes, feeding or breathing or otherwise.

Yes, I knew about this for awhile. But until he made it public 3 weeks ago, I never spoke of it.

But yes, have a beer or a bowel for our old friend. I will know more when I speak with hospice in the morning. I was in Iowa and returned home. I’ll return there upon his passing. I’m not god but it will be soon.

You all have been most kind
Paradigm Senator

Coalie Game profile

EE Patron

May 8th 2023, 21:50:22

Thank you Doug I will keep him in my prayers.

breeze Game profile

May 9th 2023, 0:43:00

Very sad. Prayers sent

farmer Game profile

May 9th 2023, 2:44:08

hate to hear this. as one that has had cancer it sucks. even if you survive it takes a little bit with it when it goes RIP Dan.

Rasp Game profile

May 9th 2023, 15:16:43

damn, we need a reset or tag to honor the fallen.

Sad to hear this news. Thoughts are with you.
[16:18:00] znc-rasp: We can kill bushido, but not bushifo, zack, moriarty, ghost rider, or darkling
[16:18:07] Req: Is that all the same person?
[16:18:12] symba: yea
[16:18:25] mob: my kids are like dad why are you laughing so much

llaar Game profile

May 11th 2023, 2:09:30

I remember him from my first days at PDM! sorry to hear this and condolences.

BigP Game profile

May 12th 2023, 12:00:40

:( Sorry to hear
- SoF

Dark Demon Game profile

Forum Moderator
EE Patron

May 12th 2023, 15:36:05

Sorry to hear

He was a fun guy to chat with
Mercs
Natural Born Killers

Doug Game profile

May 13th 2023, 0:19:41

UPDATE:

After just under 2 weeks in hospice, I just was informed Grumpy old Man passed. We all knew and as I told you all I was not expecting it to be long. His 63rd birthday is tomorrow Saturday the 13th.

Dan was a personal IRL friend, as I mentioned he was like an uncle to me.

Thank you all for the kind words. PDM lost a friend that played since the beginning. (Then known as plumber-man Dan) And I lost a part of my family. I will miss his crabby old sarcasm, his support in my journey growing up, and his presence.

Doug

Edited By: Doug on May 13th 2023, 1:52:38
Paradigm Senator

May 13th 2023, 0:29:56

Rip grumpy old man.

Sorry to hear doug

Detmer Game profile

May 13th 2023, 1:40:09

You'll be missed Dan.

elvesrus

May 13th 2023, 1:57:07

:(
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Leto Game profile

May 13th 2023, 3:49:39

Rest in peace, godspeed Dan

Hardy Game profile

May 13th 2023, 4:27:52

Condolences. RIP.

Mockdu Game profile

May 13th 2023, 4:37:54

RIP

SuperFly Game profile

May 13th 2023, 4:53:31

:( rip

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 13th 2023, 12:56:50

RIP.

Havoc Game profile

May 13th 2023, 13:55:41

RIP, sorry for your loss Doug, and PDM.
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Lord Milk Game profile

May 13th 2023, 14:35:31

RIP
“Light must come from inside. You cannot ask the darkness to leave; you must turn on the light.”
WE ARE THE LIGHT!

Doug Game profile

May 13th 2023, 16:15:12

Thank you all. In the last year, he really was here a lot yet didn’t speak publicly. He would feel welcomed of the cross “clan” lines of kindness. As am I.

I did forget to include and I did edit that in the early days he used plumber-man Dan as a nickname. On earthstats. Galleri recently fixed his username here as he couldn’t post. But he wasn’t very public and would talk privately. Which he enjoyed. Gave him something to do.

I am hoping to hear word on any service and travel back to Iowa.
Paradigm Senator

Doug Game profile

May 13th 2023, 16:26:42

Funny side note: (I’ll try to be short)

The old pdm senate dissolved. Leto and Dead Arise and Josey Wales held the tag for years. 2 years ago this august Dan and I were bored and found EE was here, and we came back. Dan and I farmed Ashe I think by accident. We didn’t know the new game bot stuff. Ohhhh Ash wanted me dead for 18 months. lol Dark Demon kept them from smashing us.

But one set Dan was misbehaving and his rainbow was making me have mini strokes. lol so I ordered him detagged and I killed him. Later we laughed when folks noticed we killed our own. We said it was “training exercise” LoL

Don’t know why I really told that story but I know after he retired and was Ill off and on he was here HOURS and HOURS the last year. It was keeping him sane. Funny that this place keeps anyone sane :-)
Paradigm Senator

Ratski Game profile

May 13th 2023, 17:08:38

Sorry to hear this Doug, RIP Grumpy. Gone but not forgotten.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

May 15th 2023, 0:32:58

RIP.

ERTYUIPOP Game profile

May 15th 2023, 3:22:40

RIP GOM

v1per Game profile

May 15th 2023, 12:31:40

RIP

Snoopdawg Game profile

May 15th 2023, 16:17:57

R.I.P.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 17th 2023, 1:42:19

Sad to hear this :(
RIP to a long timer
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Doug Game profile

May 17th 2023, 3:12:02

Originally posted by Pang:
Sad to hear this :(
RIP to a long timer

Thank you Pang.

Paradigm Senator

Leto Game profile

May 20th 2023, 13:48:33

I remember that Doug, he was so pissed lol

beerdrinker75 Game profile

EE Patron

May 21st 2023, 0:08:15

My deepest condolences.
Just shut up and have another beer

Doug Game profile

Jun 2nd 2023, 18:50:11

It’s been just over a week and I very much miss my real life friend. When grumpy old man
Aka Dan came to my graduation for my sergeants exam he was like a proud uncle or father. I found a song that really hits home to this. Though this thread was moved, I hope you’ll listen. 1 last time.

https://youtu.be/nMtco5lJ8rk
Paradigm Senator

TCO_NBK Game profile

Mar 8th 2024, 22:23:01

Sad to read this :( Mr prayers go out to all involved!