Verified:

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2024, 21:05:29

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does this mean that if you send 100 jets, then you lose 99 jets.

(Ignoring med tech & govt bonus)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2024, 21:11:33

Yes, you will lose 98% of your sent units in that scenario for SS. PS will have the typical military losses that you are used to.

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2024, 23:03:25

Interesting, so I am thinking this is going to slow down the hardcore farming a bit...

Turtle Crawler Game profile

Apr 22nd 2024, 1:09:34

Yeah I dunno sounds like a bad idea because it detracts from gameplay

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 22nd 2024, 1:56:30

Originally posted by Turtle Crawler:
Yeah I dunno sounds like a bad idea because it detracts from gameplay

I thought you left, nobody is forcing you to play in this server, the meta is over in 1a, you go, you go now....
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 22nd 2024, 1:57:59

Originally posted by UgolinoII:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but does this mean that if you send 100 jets, then you lose 99 jets.

(Ignoring med tech & govt bonus)

Originally posted by Slagpit:
Yes, you will lose 98% of your sent units in that scenario for SS. PS will have the typical military losses that you are used to.

Originally posted by UgolinoII:
Interesting, so I am thinking this is going to slow down the hardcore farming a bit...

Exactly what I'm thinking, everyone wins with this.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 22nd 2024, 4:25:56

Some of the reasons for the change:

1) Make offensive allies more important which encourages players to find a tag and allows elite tags to differentiate themselves by managing offensive allies well.
2) Make spy ops more useful along those same lines.
3) Make landgrabbing a meaningful choice in the early game and punish players who grab carelessly.
4) Increase public market demand for jets, medical tech, and weapons tech.
5) Shorten the overall grabbing phase which some players find to be tedious.

If the mechanic doesn't work out well then it will be replaced with something else.

VicRattlehead Game profile

Apr 22nd 2024, 4:34:39

I tbink this is fantastic. More strategic PSing.

Apr 22nd 2024, 14:43:12

Without turn optimization it's not a competitive server.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 22nd 2024, 14:52:58

But this should require way more optimization? I mean balancing maintenance and jets cost to blindless grabbing, plus having to ensure you have smart and capable offensive allies that you trust not to eat your jets up. It's whole new areas to learn how to optimize, and you can continue to work on new strats based on the changes for turn optimization too (medical and weapons tech starts anyone?).

Apr 22nd 2024, 15:28:07

Without turn optimization it's not a competitive server.

Yeah, this is a weird comment. Every rules change shifts what it means to optimize your turns. This basically amounts to "without people being competitive it isn't competitive."

NitelL Game profile

Apr 22nd 2024, 16:44:20

The best part in this is after 20 years, we've found a way to create demand for med tech. lol

BlackHole Game profile

Apr 24th 2024, 15:17:19

TC - Are you trying to say that because the server doesn't know what the optimal turn optimization is, it's not competitive?

I think one of the things that hurts the game so much is that it is a 'solved' game. The more we can break that solution, and force people to make decisions on the fly, the better.

Apr 24th 2024, 15:49:53

Originally posted by BlackHole:
TC - Are you trying to say that because the server doesn't know what the optimal turn optimization is, it's not competitive?

I think one of the things that hurts the game so much is that it is a 'solved' game. The more we can break that solution, and force people to make decisions on the fly, the better.

This server rule isn't competitive because it makes SS unviable and in doing so gives a person a ton of turns and nothing useful to do with them. Earth isn't a time based game like utopia, it's turn based, so any good strategy requires maximizing the value of every turn. But as setup the best strategy is the one that has the highest amount of stored turns, rather than the one who does something useful with them.

There basically isn't any innovation or optimization to be done, which is why it isn't competitive. Offensive alliances and tech are just too simple to optimize beyond using them, and are best optimized by having people play feeder countries, which is the exact opposite of what should be encouraged.

Apr 24th 2024, 16:01:48

Notice how it reduces PS from 5 to 2 as well. It's just a newb friendly casual server as designed.

To make it competitive give 20 PS.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 29th 2024, 17:43:53

There are a number of things that players can do to mitigate the higher SS cost:

* doing a tech start
* getting offensive allies
* getting medical tech, weapons tech, and mstrat tech
* having your clan get a sufficient number of spy ops
* saving turns
* building cs later than usual
* playing as the right government. dictatorship is the obvious choice to reduce the cost of SS but there are others that are helpful

Your ending networth is entirely up to the choices that you make. I expect elite players to make the right choices to maximize their networth. If anything, I expect this server to be more competitive than Alliance in that highly skilled players are better able to distinguish themselves.

Apr 29th 2024, 23:52:26

There are a number of things that players can do to mitigate the higher SS cost:

* doing a tech start
* getting offensive allies
* getting medical tech, weapons tech, and mstrat tech
* having your clan get a sufficient number of spy ops
* saving turns
* building cs later than usual
* playing as the right government. dictatorship is the obvious choice to reduce the cost of SS but there are others that are helpful

Your ending networth is entirely up to the choices that you make. I expect elite players to make the right choices to maximize their networth. If anything, I expect this server to be more competitive than Alliance in that highly skilled players are better able to distinguish themselves.

All players will do every one of those things, so there won't be any variation in gameplay. Everyone whos competive executing the exact same strategy.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 30th 2024, 0:58:23

Would you be so kind as to post the optimal farmer strat then? Since all players are going to play optimally anyway there's no harm in you posting it, right?

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 30th 2024, 6:31:15

Originally posted by NitelL:
The best part in this is after 20 years, we've found a way to create demand for med tech. lol

Ahahahaha!! So true.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 30th 2024, 6:33:39

For my 2 cents., this change seems good to me.

There’s tricks to calculate a bot’s defense just on networth and govt type; thus some players could perform a successful LG without using a turn on spy op. This at least makes the spy op more valuable.

Edited By: Celphi on Apr 30th 2024, 6:39:27

Apr 30th 2024, 6:37:10

Would you be so kind as to post the optimal farmer strat then? Since all players are going to play optimally anyway there's no harm in you posting it, right?

Extra turns you have to cash to get enough money to grab again benefits one strategy: techer. Because it's turns spent earning are far more productive.

To balance tech with other strategies you need to have a tradeoff between income and growth. But in the rules you implement you need that income to grow, so the tradeoff is gone and it becomes the only playable strat.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 30th 2024, 6:44:14

With so many changes I have no idea how anyone could possibly calculate an imbalance of strategies.

It’s almost an entirely new game.

It also seems Slag is making changes to try out & not necessarily make permanent. The point of the discussion on forums is to point out an obvious imbalance which I don’t think there is one.

Apr 30th 2024, 13:28:26

TC it definitely seems like you are being critical just for the sake of it here. This is an attempt to improve things, it can't solve every issue immediately, and until we actually see how it plays out everything is speculation.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 30th 2024, 14:13:52

Extra turns you have to cash to get enough money to grab again benefits one strategy: techer. Because it's turns spent earning are far more productive.

To balance tech with other strategies you need to have a tradeoff between income and growth. But in the rules you implement you need that income to grow, so the tradeoff is gone and it becomes the only playable strat.

If you have a suggestion to make techer more balanced I will consider it. The server isn't live yet so it's not too late to make changes. Perhaps it will help to know that the npc countries on this server will not infinitely buy tech like they do on the Alliance server. They only buy tech at prices that they think will benefit them.

Edited By: Slagpit on Apr 30th 2024, 14:17:19
See Original Post

May 1st 2024, 3:23:29

If you have a suggestion to make techer more balanced I will consider it. The server isn't live yet so it's not too late to make changes. Perhaps it will help to know that the npc countries on this server will not infinitely buy tech like they do on the Alliance server. They only buy tech at prices that they think will benefit them.

Drop the SS change, change the PS count to 10, keep everything else. That adds new interesting things that I can't optimize without actually playing it.

If you want to go really crazy eliminate CC DR and decrease the build cost of large countries significantly, so they more out less cap at the 150k price (or something similar) to enable other strategies. It's much more fun and competitive to grab all set than just part. Add a new tech to decrease build cost.

Give countries 5 spyops per day that don't require turns.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 1st 2024, 16:27:51

How would a player's tag be meaningful under those rules?

May 1st 2024, 16:41:01

How would a player's tag be meaningful under those rules?

Exact same way it is on what you wrote, those are still meaningful changes that will be utilized, they just don't overwhelm to the exclusion of all other choices.

Maybe you really want to create a ruleset that is all about aiding a singlw country to as high a nw as possible to the exclusion of the results of the other countries in the tag, but I don't suggest that.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 1st 2024, 16:53:51

FA packages aren't allowed, warfare and SDI tech are removed, tech leeching is less effective, countries can put goods on the market for up to 60 days, and standing orders were changed to make low price market transfers more difficult. The server isn't designed for players to aid a country to as high of a NW as possible, but of course players are permitted to attempt this if they like.