Verified:

Detmer Game profile

Apr 15th 2011, 16:09:45

Maybe at 1/5 the amount as attacking?

Rockman Game profile

Apr 15th 2011, 16:12:05

So you can lemming someone down until they run out of oil?

Maybe make military require oil for upkeep rather than food (except for troops, they should still need food). But make it based on turn usage, not on every time they get attacked.

lincoln

Apr 15th 2011, 19:32:49

combine this idea with the thread where all economic activity requires oil
i.e. moving 64M bushels to market requires oil
having 145000 civillians requires oil

it is strange that only attacking reuires oil
FoG

Kingme Game profile

Apr 15th 2011, 19:41:44

Oiler is definitely a hindered strat in its current form. Implementing some sort of change(s) could revive the strat, and add another dimension to the game.

Detmer Game profile

Apr 15th 2011, 20:30:59

Originally posted by Rockman:

Maybe make military require oil for upkeep rather than food (except for troops, they should still need food). But make it based on turn usage, not on every time they get attacked.

How is that any different than lemming the break down? Oil demand would increase drastically. Furthermore it could easily be military effectiveness is only 50% without oil, or maybe turrets and tanks stop working without oil. All sorts of possibilities that greatly increase the demand for oil.

spawn Game profile

Apr 15th 2011, 21:14:51

oil upkeep could be way lower than oil usage for attacks Detmer ;)
/slap iZarcon

All your deleted countries are belong to me!

Detmer Game profile

Apr 15th 2011, 21:22:58

Originally posted by spawn:
oil upkeep could be way lower than oil usage for attacks Detmer ;)

I agree with you completely.

That was what I said in my first post =P

londwell

Apr 15th 2011, 22:48:00

oil upkeep is a good idea :-)

Detmer Game profile

Apr 16th 2011, 0:01:24

oil upkeep is then like food without a private market or tech... we don't need more turn by turn upkeeps

Rockman's variety would be sensible for a game mechanic and realism (of course everything needs oil in real life but we don't want to over complicate things by trying to simulate real life perfectly)

Rockman Game profile

Apr 16th 2011, 0:06:42

Originally posted by Detmer:
Originally posted by Rockman:

How is that any different than lemming the break down? Oil demand would increase drastically. Furthermore it could easily be military effectiveness is only 50% without oil, or maybe turrets and tanks stop working without oil. All sorts of possibilities that greatly increase the demand for oil.

True, if military effectiveness doesn't completely drop off when you run out of oil, it makes much more sense. I was thinking that if you ran out of oil, your military strength would go to zero, which would be a very bad game mechanic.

llaar Game profile

Apr 20th 2011, 22:56:06

make it cost oil to buy from private, because you need to pay for the transport of the goods, whereas the public market gives free shipping

that way TMBR will keep the price of oil higher end of set, making oiler a viable full set netting strat

osloos Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 0:26:41

you could tie lack of oil defensively to military readiness. each attack received while not holding oil decreases readiness by a certain percent. this provides some built in scale to the effect. it wouldnt be instantly devastating, but adds a strategic expense to regular game play and a new angle to war.

W Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 5:20:33

"your military requires oil on hand to effectively operate, your readiness has dropped by 1% due to lack of sufficient oil reserves"
[9:22pm] xHx: on a fluff ton of tech
[9:22pm] xHx was kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)
[9:22pm] Within[SnG]: what?? fluff this
[9:22pm] You were kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)

joedro Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 7:50:58

i approve of this thread!
Team: recruit me

Alliance: recruit me
contact- - pm right here will work just fine tho