Verified:

euglaf Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 20:55:23

I don't understand why intertag hits haven't been coded out yet. A tag admin exists now so that if someone is going ape fluff on other tags there are lots of people who can log in to their countries and detag the offender manually on their end.

It makes absolutely no sense for people within the same alliance to be allowed to hit each other. This should be inclusive for all attack types.

With intertag hits available people are allowed to circumvent the nature behind landgrabbing by either just creating ghost land for themselves in a 0 risk fashion or GSing themselves into DR. DR was a mechanic designed to stop people from hitting others too often... not to protect people who grab like idiots with no defense.

When you look at the rules that have existed in the game for a long time you need to evaluate why those rules were put into place to begin with. DR was originally designed to protect people from getting farmed, not to protect people who grab with no defense. Ghost acres was not designed to allow people to gain land without any risk. Intertag hits were allowed to put down suiciders. With the last being a non issue with the tag admin function now, I believe there is no reason to allow inter tag hits which should hopefully curb the former two from happening anymore in the game.

just the 2 cents of someone who's sick of people trying to subvert the nature of how the game should be played.

Detmer Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 20:56:49

1) Being a know-it-all doesn't mean you know all
2) This belongs on B&S

Ozzite Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 20:58:48

Isn't this an alliance server?

Why shouldn't land trading not be allowed if it benefits the alliance as a whole?

This is a dupe on B&S anyway ;p
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jul 16th 2011, 20:59:52

wait for it....

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

locket Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 21:22:29

maybe take out landgrabs and leave in Special attacks to allow some of the special things small clans do to stay ;)

Yamaha Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 21:39:31

I believe there should be an astronomical surcharge for units put on the market and not sold. Those bushels should be my bushels :P

*Flame On*
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 21:42:28

at the very least what locket said - removing in tag hits completely negates a clan's ability to make the token gesture of killing a tag mate for suiciding on a clan.

I see no reason for this - whether you like it or not, it's a viable strategy, and clans/teams are there to encourage cooperation between players.

locket Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 21:46:52

Thats why he mentioned that a tag admin can detag them. I was more referring to GSing to stop over farming

highrock Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 22:00:18

totally agree. it also makes absolutely no sense. in real life, fellow members of NATO do not attack each other.
formerly Viola MD

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 16th 2011, 22:09:38

I bet they would if they had ghost acres!

Ozzite Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 22:10:58

Originally posted by highrock:
totally agree. it also makes absolutely no sense. in real life, fellow members of NATO do not attack each other.

thats a fluffing stupid argument

sigma Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 22:19:46

Originally posted by highrock:

I'm not sure if this is intended to be funny; but it is.

Rockman Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 22:53:29

LaF has told me both that they will never allow intratag landtrading because its too risky and will make too many people suicide/war us, and because its not as risky as bottomfeeding, despite our lack of evidence that bottomfeeding is risky.

By the way, Eug, I think you mean intratag hits, not intertag hits. Banning intertag hits would be a hilarious change to the alliance server, and would definitely ruin the game.

Ozzite Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 22:56:45

Originally posted by Rockman:
By the way, Eug, I think you mean intratag hits, not intertag hits. Banning intertag hits would be a hilarious change to the alliance server, and would definitely ruin the game.

The bullfluff moderator attacks!

hanlong Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 23:07:08

the problem is, the second you code this in, someone will make two tags for the sole purpose of intra-farming :P
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

SolidSnake Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 23:44:39

When ghost acres were changed, i vaguely remember the announcement made specific reference to increasing cs loss so as to try and make intra land tradding not worth it. The admins failed to do so, which leaves a couple of viable scenario's, either code it out, remove ghost acres, or come up with some other viable alternative.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 16th 2011, 23:57:10

How many landtrading countries have finished in the top ten?

Fooglmog Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 0:01:02

Has this been an issue recently?

My suspicion is that it hasn't been coded out because it's not done enough to be worth the time.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Ozzite Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 0:15:07

Originally posted by SolidSnake:
When ghost acres were changed, i vaguely remember the announcement made specific reference to increasing cs loss so as to try and make intra land tradding not worth it. The admins failed to do so, which leaves a couple of viable scenario's, either code it out, remove ghost acres, or come up with some other viable alternative.

Or you can stop being a vagina. Or is that in the last category you gave?

ZIP Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 0:20:01

have an issue - war it -

political problem, not game mechanics
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

HeadHunter Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 1:05:45

Two allies could theoretically do this as well, would it be right then? I still say it's better to insert bot countries for farmland/grabbing and let clans fight over them instead of abusing the ghostacres internally or in a cooperation between tags.
Error 354 - Signature too awesome

dagga Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 1:29:00

"DR was originally designed to protect people from getting farmed, not to protect people who grab with no defense."

Oh poor LaF loser. Your landfarms who you got illegitimately through gangbanging are in DR? Suck me off.
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

Drow Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 1:42:43

Dr doesn't stop farming. Period.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

hanlong Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 3:15:28

i love the enthusiasm dagga

B+
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

ZDH Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 3:35:43

Originally posted by ZIP:
have an issue - war it -

agreed
-BigZ

bore Game profile

Patron

Jul 17th 2011, 6:55:28

Originally posted by ZDH:
have an issue - war it -

agreed

+9

toma Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 11:46:26

deciding that no intag farming possible won't refuse anything. It can be done just as well between 2 clans. Ghost acres need to be fixed in some way to prevent the issue.
Originally posted by Slagpit:
Ruining peoples fun for no reason is okay, but ruining it for a reason I disagree with isn't okay. Never change, community.

Pain Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 11:50:01

yes lets modify ghost acres so people are even less willing to landgrab each other because of the tactics of a handful of people.

ghost acres were already modified to prevent the over abuse of land trading.

Your mother is a nice woman

mold Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 13:02:08

some one mentioned alliances?

make it a land ally or something. you pay extra fees to be able hit thim, must be allied with them as per usual time frame etc, limited to how many countries can be trading with each other at the same time.

although, you put in something like this, you mess up fluff hits clanmates, which is always enjoyable for everyone. what would an FS be withought someone mis-hitting a friend?!

Edited By: mold on Jul 17th 2011, 13:08:50
See Original Post

Sir Balin Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 13:18:47

Originally posted by HeadHunter:
Two allies could theoretically do this as well, would it be right then?

this. how is friendly landtrading between tags ethically different from intratag trading?

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 17th 2011, 13:30:19

allies can't hit eachother; we don't allow you to hit your allies because it's basically a free op + your troops may fight themselves :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2011, 14:08:42

have an issue - war it -

the problem is alliances do nothing about political problems like these because of inter-alliance politics which leads to the game sucking even more.

suiciders sometimes do their best to take care of this problem but there is a finite number of people who can be bothered to suicide
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 17th 2011, 14:27:53

something I've been floating around that may help solve the over-farming and landtrading problems is a layered DR system...

countries would have several types of DR, DR for all defending hits (like we have now), DR between countries (the ghost acres wear off more slowly), DR for your allies (if your allies hit someone, it makes them less attractive for you to grab), and for clan servers, DR between tags (untagged wouldn't count as a tag)

the country's current DR level would be determined by all of those factors

we could also make that same system work with war as well; if you hit at the same time as your allies, maybe you get less losses/higher returns or something.
I'd like to make offensive allies worth something in war outside of grabbing.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2011, 14:39:50

So Defensiver allies would be worth someting in war also?
Z is #1

Dragonlance Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 14:41:04

stop relying on the admins to fix issues and take up the cause yourself.

I'd suggest a little give and take. Maybe some pro-active killing of any lafers or evo'ers that farm untags mercilessly and some alliances who land trade may see that as some give and take and do something about their members landtrading no?

just a thought.. ;-)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 17th 2011, 15:27:44

No one answered me, so I'm going to assume that exactly zero (0) landtrading countries have finished in the top ten. So here are the facts as I know them:

-an alliance has never landtraded to win average nw
-an alliance never landtraded to win total nw
-a warring alliance has never landtraded to get an advantage in war
-a country has never landtraded to get into the top ten

So what exactly is the issue here? Either the behavior some of you are worried about isn't possible or the server/players already self regulate it out of existence.

Also Dragonlance, if you're going to bring up the "OMG untagged farming" issue in every thread, I'm going to point out how much of it is due to people like you. I'm sure you don't want to have that conversation publicly, so kindly knock it off.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2011, 15:37:17

No one answered me, so I'm going to assume that exactly zero (0) landtrading countries have finished in the top ten. So here are the facts as I know them:

So what exactly is the issue here? Either the behavior some of you are worried about isn't possible or the server/players already self regulate it out of existence.

Also Dragonlance, if you're going to bring up the "OMG untagged farming" issue in every thread, I'm going to point out how much of it is due to people like you. I'm sure you don't want to have that conversation publicly, so kindly knock it off.

RD had a top 10 in their first set and others that benefited

edit: though that wasnt trading, that was blatant self-farming
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

anoniem Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 15:55:57

Dragonlance strikes again. Are you the new dagga?
re(ally)tired

BobbyATA Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 16:27:53

B&S...

hanlong Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 23:25:44

there have been landtrading countries that finished in the t10 slagpit...
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 17th 2011, 23:30:08

Who?

Pain Game profile

Jul 17th 2011, 23:31:47

Originally posted by Pontius Pirate:

RD had a top 10 in their first set and others that benefited

edit: though that wasnt trading, that was blatant self-farming

it was an inactive country that wasnt being actively played. it wasnt "self-farming". both countries would need to be run by the same player for that to be.

the only difference is it wasnt untagged so LaF and EVO could farm it also.
Your mother is a nice woman

hanlong Game profile

Jul 18th 2011, 0:49:49

my bad, it wasn't landtrading

it was intratag farming, i thought it was landtrading but i looked at eestats and realized the country i was thinking of only hit his own alliance, and didn't get hit back.
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

highrock Game profile

Jul 18th 2011, 2:21:49

to be fair, no country has landtraded into the top ten because those who do it are utterly incompetent at netting and the good netters currently do not believe in it. i'm pretty sure any of the top 30-40 netters in EE could landtrade into the top ten easily if they chose to.
formerly Viola MD

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2011, 2:33:36

I'd consider that to be self regulation.

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 18th 2011, 2:55:06

Slag - I'm not sure it's quite logical to conclude that since something hasn't happened yet that it's not feasible or likely to happen. As HR said, I'm sure if someone set their mind to figuring out a way to do it right, it would be quite achievable - Personally, I don't think you'd have to be overly skilled to figure out how to do it.

The real question at hand here seems to be whether or not it's a good idea to leave the ability in place with the good faith that it won't be abused because of lack of community support, and whether or not the practice of using the ability that is there is acceptable in the community.

I think exclusively eliminating things like this from the game all together are going to carry just as many negative consequences as they will positive benefits. I'm much more in favor of limiting the ability.

locket Game profile

Jul 18th 2011, 5:45:24

not that i want people to do it. But it would be easy! Hanlong got 2nd or 3rd last set after being made into a parking lot and 2 strat changes. Being made a complete parking lot has to be worse then what happens with a land trade.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2011, 7:35:41

if inter-clan-farming was removed.. what would you lot have to argue about?
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

HeadHunter Game profile

Jul 18th 2011, 7:51:24

2 allies could easily set up a good system where they landtrade to get the ghost acres. then you can without much effort put in a few GS's to activate DR as well.

Just put in bot controlled countries for farmland and nobody will chose to grab eachother to get the ghost acres. The best grabbers will still do better even if it's bot countries being grabbed, and you will still have topfeeders and bigger clans grabbing smaller ones.

Error 354 - Signature too awesome

euglaf Game profile

Jul 18th 2011, 8:17:19

the rd t10 example isn't a valid reason to code out the intra tag farming. Although extremely lame in the eyes of any traditional netter, it's not circumventing the intention of game mechanics that were put into place in the past.

abuse of DR and ghost acres by land trading within tag is circumvention of the intention of game mechanics.

i dont see why people mention its a political issue. the rd t10 example would be something political. what i've been describing is something to do with game mechanics.

DR was intended to curb farming. the fact that we have so few people in the game has made DR not an effective deterrent anymore. that doesn't change the fact it is still designed to be a deterrent. if there were 10,000 countries on the server then i'm positive that there wouldn't be such farming problems.

if someone makes a 2nd tag with the intention of landtrading or creating DR then people can create political issues over that.

lastly, on the "nobody's made t10 yet"... are you saying that the issue is non existant because nobody half decent has done it yet? if it ain't broke don't fix it? the fact that laf/evo/omega don't do it is the only reason nobody has made t10 with it yet. maybe I'm expecting too much as a mere player, but i'm hoping all the game devs have an attitude of proactively changing things rather than reactively doing things after someone blows its abuse out of the water.

i do apologize for not posting this on b/s. i rarely make posts and i just needed the bonus but figured I would put out something interesting for a change.