Verified:

blid

EE Patron

Oct 7th 2013, 18:33:43

I just really doubt health insurance companies are going to be hurting on this. Even forbes agrees on that.
http://www.forbes.com/...s-and-their-shareholders/

But I mean what do you expect when they literally had an insurance industry vp write the bill?
http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/...writing-health-care-bill/

Pretty sure Obama bought off all possible corporate opposition so he could get this thing done. The health care bill is practically a front for corporate welfare with a few concessions like the pre-existing condition stuff thrown in.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-health-car_n_243115.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...confirms-bi_n_258285.html
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Atryn Game profile

Oct 7th 2013, 19:25:15

Originally posted by blid:
Pretty sure Obama bought off all possible corporate opposition so he could get this thing done. The health care bill is practically a front for corporate welfare with a few concessions like the pre-existing condition stuff thrown in.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-health-car_n_243115.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...confirms-bi_n_258285.html

I agree with the above. The reason we ended up with this program instead of single-payer was, IIRC, that Obama could get some of the end-results he wanted (more insured, pre-existing conditions, kids on parents longer) and the HC industry was getting a pro-business windfall that was supposed to get them to get the Republicans on board... That appeared to work for passing it.

Whoever the IDIOT was who came up with "Obamacare" should be shot. Even the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" was terrible. PPACA? Where were the guys who coined the PATRIOT act? Now those guys knew how to make something simple for the masses to swallow without asking questions.

How about the Helping Everyone Acquire Legal Healthcare (HEALTH) Act? Or just the Insure America Act, etc...

sigh... (steps off PR soapbox)

blid

EE Patron

Oct 7th 2013, 19:42:59

Ha, who do you think came up with the term Obamacare? The Republican opposition, obviously. It helps them turn their constituents against it.

The Dems embraced it to show they're not running from it and to "own" and "take back" the term and plus because that's what everyone now knows it as anyway.

Edited By: blid on Oct 7th 2013, 19:45:50
See Original Post
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 7th 2013, 19:47:42

It's really cool how there's not even a public option in the bill, so everyone is literally forced to give money to for-profit insurance. And by really cool I mean not cool. They could've included it but the Democrats intentionally chose not to for obvious reasons...

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 7th 2013, 23:27:36

blid if it's so good how come the president and congress don't enroll them and their families in it?

blid

EE Patron

Oct 7th 2013, 23:57:39

Are you dense? Where have I said a positive word about it?

Atryn Game profile

Oct 8th 2013, 4:05:37

In your first sentence above his post...

what, do you think Requiem made it to your second sentence?!?!?!

Klown Game profile

Oct 8th 2013, 4:09:28

Originally posted by blid:
Originally posted by Requiem:
Rates will continue to go up because they cannot deny for pre-existing conditions which means they will have to pay out more and thus be forced to increase premiums to cover the claims payments.
But with health insurance being mandatory they also get a lot of healthy new customers as well. They'll make out just fine.
Originally posted by Klown:
Originally posted by Atryn:

Remember, part of this is to stop freeloaders who run around with no insurance and then expect the rest of us to pay for their healthcare when they show up in the emergency room. That is why it is called the individual shared responsibility payment.

https://www.healthcare.gov/...-health-coverage-in-2014/

No, it does not apply to me I am just saying that the price is still not affordable. I am aware of the tax credits and subsidies, the 231 figure includes that. If the law requires the young and healthy to sign up, it will fail. Regarding free loaders, correct me if I'm wrong here, but with the inability to discriminate based on pre-existing conditions is there not now an incentive to pay the penalty while you are healthy and then sign up for insurance once diagnosed with an illness that is going to require medical help?
solution: Single-payer health care.

That's like saying how do we end world hunger? Solution: give everyone food. Easier said than done.

mrford Game profile

Oct 8th 2013, 6:16:46

i cant get a quote for you because every time i have tried to sign up for the site, it is down...healthcare.gov that is.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

MauricXe Game profile

Oct 10th 2013, 15:33:22

Originally posted by mrford:
i cant get a quote for you because every time i have tried to sign up for the site, it is down...healthcare.gov that is.

Try using the estimator I linked to in my original post

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Oct 10th 2013, 18:20:21

guess the CIA didn't write the code for healthcare.gov. maybe it is safe to visit. why are people who make more money required to pay extra for this health insurance scam? will they be getting better doctors, nurses and technicians?
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

andrewmmuller Game profile

Oct 11th 2013, 1:10:13

I still want single payer healthcare, but I'll take my employer provided plan until then.

Supertodd Game profile

Oct 12th 2013, 2:22:55

Originally posted by Goofy:
Supertodd, the insurance company is BSing you. There is nothing in the plan that is making them charge you more for what you already have. This is them just using it as an excuse to raise your premiums. My insurance plan from working isn't changing at all next year.

Goofy, if you look at what the "Affordable" Care Act forces insurance companies to do, it absolutely does dramatically increase costs.

Insurance companies are forced to include (at least) the two coverages I mentioned above in every policy in order for them to be ACA compliant.

That alone increases the cost of insurance, but its minor when compared to the fact that insurance companies are now no longer allowed to decline to cover someone who is guaranteed to lose them money. If I'm uninsured and come down with a disease that is guaranteed to cost 100k per year to treat, an insurance company must cover me, at an 80k or 90k per year loss.

So is the insurance company simply going to take it in the shorts? Of course not. That cost is going to be spread among all of their customers via higher premiums. There is simply no other possible outcome, just as conservatives and libertarians have been saying for the last three years. Its really just common sense, and is now being proven true.

I can't remember who said it (and I don't feel like rereading this thread) but it made me laugh and shake my head sadly when someone here actually used the "freeloaders" argument in favor of the "Affordable" Care Act. When my insurance agent called me to discuss the notice I'd gotten about my premiums more than doubling, he - the guy who makes his living selling insurance - actually told me that my best option may well be to go without insurance and pay the fine. Lets see.. a small fine, and no insurance company can decline me if something terrible happens, or pay another five grand per year. Unless the "fine" or "tax" or whatever the SCOTUS wants to call it reaches 10 grand per year, it only makes sense for me to "freeload". This plan CREATES so-called freeloaders. How many of those twenty-something "freeloaders" do you think are going to go out and buy insurance now that it costs twice as much?

+bonus

farmer Game profile

Oct 13th 2013, 13:17:21

waiting for something bad to happen, hart attack, stroke, or some other act of fait. So who covers me while I lay on my back in the hospital waiting to be signed up. If you own nothing you can afford to be uninsured but if you have assets you can't afford to not be. This plan sucks. O and my ins. company has dropped us says it is for economic reasons and to check back after jan.

Oct 13th 2013, 14:36:37

thought my alcohol and tobacco taxes paid for people who have assets but can't afford to pay the hospital bill because they have no income? how can you afford to have assets, but not have enough money to be able to keep them? don't they cost money to maintain and keep insured so that people can't sue your assets off?
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

Oct 13th 2013, 15:16:43

wait a minute. you're stating that it's unfair because someone who has no assets or insurance is capable of incurring a debt that they aren't obligated to pay? course, it only takes a couple hours for a hospital to generate a bill that's worth more than an average house.
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

Leto Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 13th 2013, 19:59:28

Only time will tell what we will actually end up paying, none of this works if you go to an aruavedic doctor