Verified:

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 20th 2014, 22:28:36

How would you do it?

And please argue agains each other's solutions.

I want to see what this group can come up with:)

I know what I'd do if I was Obama, but then again we're all back seat quarterbacking here:)
Z is #1

Taveren Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 22:58:56

Ally with Russia, subjugate Ukraine, take over the world before breakfast.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Skype: som3thingclassy

Ruthie

Mar 20th 2014, 23:07:06

retal his landgrab? ;)
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

RaTS FYA Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 23:12:46

I would give no craps, let Russia expand its empire again, the last time they had one it failed pretty spectacularly, wait for them to crumble again, come in with promises of massive FA, if they were to go to war with China. 2 birds 1 stone, leaving America as the top player in the game for 50 + more years.
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars

archaic Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 0:27:59

Well, based on my history as an FA - first I would try finding someone else in Russia besides Putin to negotiate with, which would fail. I'd offer Russia absurd terms that give them dominion over Ukraine in return for a sliver of autonomy. Then I would tell my people to try play nice with Russia while they eroded our borders further and further.

Eventually we would get frustrated and launch a horribly ill advised solo war against Russia where we lost even more territory. I'd then try to organize a weak coalition of other nations that Russia has subjugated in an attempt to stem the blood loss. Once I was able to organize Georgia, Armenia, and Chechnya into a coalition, we would plot a brilliant FS to break Russia's stranglehold.

Of course, Russian intelligence would know the details of our coalition weeks before it even formed. Russia would bring in their allies and preemptively attack our coalition and crush it. Then they and their allies would wage a protracted war against us for as long as it took to reduce us to rubble. Eventually the little coalition would crumble and we would slink off to the far reaches of our countries to try and rebuild a shadow of our former selves as distant from Russia as we could manage.

Of course, I'd resign from Ukrainian leadership and seek asylum elsewhere to pursue my final solution. I would become a terrorist, striking feebly at soft targets within Russia that only angered the innocent and left Russian strength intact. Eventually, even that pitiful opposition would grow meaningless. At that point I would be left with nothing but releasing the occasional anti-Russian press release that might be featured as an op-ed piece on the back page of some no name rag only read by a tiny community of fanatics.

But thats just me.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 0:29:20

WE WOULD INFORM PUTIN THAT AS THE AGGRESSOR HERE, HE HAS NO STANDING. IF HE WAS NOT CONVINCED BY THAT, WE WOULD INVITE HIM OVER FOR TACO BELL AND SAM ADAMS.

THEN WE WOULD PLACE HIM ON THE LIST OF THOSE WHO ARE TO BE EXPLODED. THAT HAS NEVER FAILED TO SOLVE THINGS.

THIS LOOKS LIKE A PRETTY SOLID PLAN TO US. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? IS IT TIME FOR US TO WRITE ANOTHER LETTER TO OBAMA?

HA!

SAM
MINISTER OF FOREIGN ANTAGONISM,
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

bstrong86 Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 2:27:59

retal, L:L

Then drop my newly gained acres off to china or something.
The Death Knights

XI

locket Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 4:16:28

Russia gets Crimea but gives Ukraine and Crimea's citizens a good sum of money in return. Owes fund to citizens to help them get housing in another city if they dont wish to be part of Russia. Certain Ukraine laws stay in effect for a certain amount of time. Perhaps something like a Hong Kong handover. A few other things too since they broke their agreement they made when Ukraine got rid of their nukes.

BLUEEE Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 4:47:49

i would stay the fluff out of it. its none of my business. the ukraine/crimea they can handle their own INTERNAL affairs. Ukraine has a history of rejecting dictatorial leaders as it is so if one was inserted im sure it would not last long. we(united states) have a big problem meddling in the affairs of others and it has cost us dearly and will continue to until we get out of meddling in other countries. ally to none but friends with everyone.

Taveren Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 5:17:05

Originally posted by archaic:
But thats just me.

You... you I like.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Skype: som3thingclassy

CHUCK_DANGER Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 5:54:21

Originally posted by SAM_DANGER:

THIS LOOKS LIKE A PRETTY SOLID PLAN TO US. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? IS IT TIME FOR US TO WRITE ANOTHER LETTER TO OBAMA?

HA!

SAM
MINISTER OF FOREIGN ANTAGONISM,
THE MIGHTY CLAN -DANGER-!

SAM,

THE LAST LETTER YOU WROTE HAD ME NAMED ON 17 DIFFERENT GOVERNMENT WATCH LISTS.

THIS WAS OF COURSE AN UPGRADE FROM THE 26 WATCH LISTS I WAS ON BEFORE THE LETTER WAS WRITTEN.

THE POWER OF INK
THE POWER OF EXPLOSIONS
THE POWER OF INK EXPLOSIONS...

BETTER GET A SAM ADAMS THEMED POCKET PROTECTOR!

HA!
CHUCK_DANGER
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

Makolyte Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 14:54:22

Since i have 0 years of experience being an expert on foreign policy my opinion means zilch, but this could be a fun exercise.

First, what do we know about Russia? They are an oligarchy, meaning the power and money is concentrated in the hands of a few.

Second, money talks, always.

Therefore, the most effective way to coerce Russia is by directly targeting the money of the oligarchy. That's basically what the recent sanctions are all about. I would continue down that path, threatening more sanctions AND most importantly following through with the threat.

Next, we need this to be multilateral, therefore we need to rally our allies to follow us by putting sanctions on Russia too. Encirclement or multi-directional attacks are always devastating, so a multilateral coalition sanctioning Russia is kinda like encircling, just economically instead of militarily.

Military action would be the last thing we'd want to do, obviously, and it would definitely need to be a multilateral coalition like NATO.

Lastly, i'd consider getting the UN to issue some resolutions. Even though the UN is quite useless and weak, in the long run it's better to have as many people against Russia as possible.

Edited By: Makolyte on Mar 21st 2014, 14:56:49
See Original Post
--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior
--------------------------------------------

hawkeyee Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 15:03:41

I don't see Ukraine's position here. They were once a part of a country that they wanted to separate from. They separated. Now a part of their country doesn't want to be a part of it. But they won't let them separate. Is that basically it?
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Mar 21st 2014, 15:27:56

hawkeyee, i think the problem is that about 2 people believe that the votes for separation etc are legit.

CandyMan Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 16:20:17

allow Ukraine to take a land:land retal, generating ghost acres.

Raging Budda Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 16:52:22

I would landgrab SW Russia and then have friends in Central Europe 2-step by taking land some land in Western Ukraine.
Your base is mine!

euglaf Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 20:40:07

declare war first

ask questions later

Atryn Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 21:32:34

Too late now.

My suggestion was fairly simple. It was obvious early on that Russia wasn't backing down, the West wasn't going to help. Thus Crimea was lost.

The Ukraine should have struck a deal with Russia right then to "sell" them Crimea. Ukraine owes Russia like $30b+. Russia could have "bought" Crimea with just forgiven debt. Russia would the "legitimately" own Crimea (no international sanctions or other repercussions) and Ukraine could have rebuilt their economy free of 90% of their public debt without being "beholden" to Russia as their largest creditor.

Once Crimea was "lost" (day one, pretty much), this would have been a great path. Every day since then has weakened the opportunity for this. It is still POSSIBLE, but Russia has less incentive now that the cards have been mostly played out.

Atryn Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 21:33:25

BTW, just noticed locket said something very similar. OMG that is scary.

iScode Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 21:54:26

Originally posted by archaic:
Well, based on my history as an FA - first I would try finding someone else in Russia besides Putin to negotiate with, which would fail. I'd offer Russia absurd terms that give them dominion over Ukraine in return for a sliver of autonomy. Then I would tell my people to try play nice with Russia while they eroded our borders further and further.

Eventually we would get frustrated and launch a horribly ill advised solo war against Russia where we lost even more territory. I'd then try to organize a weak coalition of other nations that Russia has subjugated in an attempt to stem the blood loss. Once I was able to organize Georgia, Armenia, and Chechnya into a coalition, we would plot a brilliant FS to break Russia's stranglehold.

Of course, Russian intelligence would know the details of our coalition weeks before it even formed. Russia would bring in their allies and preemptively attack our coalition and crush it. Then they and their allies would wage a protracted war against us for as long as it took to reduce us to rubble. Eventually the little coalition would crumble and we would slink off to the far reaches of our countries to try and rebuild a shadow of our former selves as distant from Russia as we could manage.

Of course, I'd resign from Ukrainian leadership and seek asylum elsewhere to pursue my final solution. I would become a terrorist, striking feebly at soft targets within Russia that only angered the innocent and left Russian strength intact. Eventually, even that pitiful opposition would grow meaningless. At that point I would be left with nothing but releasing the occasional anti-Russian press release that might be featured as an op-ed piece on the back page of some no name rag only read by a tiny community of fanatics.

But thats just me.

thats fluffing gold!!!
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 22nd 2014, 1:42:53

These are the 2 things I would do.

1. I would negotiate and put in 2-3 military bases in former Soviet countries. Ukraine and Georgia come to mind as a starting point.

2. I would fast track and push to have built immediately at least 1 if not 2 or 3 liquified natural gas terminals to transport our fracking gas to Europe, with a strong enough supply they can stop buying Russian Gas. And push for an embargo in Russian gas.

These actions would take 3-5 years to implement, but would hit Russia hard where it counts.

Z is #1

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 22nd 2014, 1:59:50

Servant seems to have the most logical argument that incites the least violence. Economically, the Russian is weak, taking away their energy sales to Ukraine and perhaps other countries by shipping LNG that we have in abundance would be a two fold economic hit for Russia. And, we would make money out of the deal, which the democrats can then wastefully spend on bigger and better Obama family vacations.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

archaic Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 2:04:11

You seem angry my brother.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Symac

Mar 22nd 2014, 3:49:37

MAD
Good Night

Angel1 Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 4:08:22

Let's see here. Omega would probably react something like I expect France to respond. We'd talk a little bit here and there, but focus on moving ourselves into better position, just in case Russia continued to annoy us. This would take quite some time. Then, when no one was expecting it, we would begin policing for Ukraine (by deploying say 10-15k troops into eastern Ukraine (with the Ukraine's permission of course). Then everyone would be like, "Holy **** France/Omega has deployed military forces."

On that note, forget arming the Ukrainians, the US should deploy at least 10,000 soldiers to eastern Ukraine. Put our military in eastern Ukraine before the Russians possibly get there. Get there first, then Russia is unlikely to invade. If invading the Ukraine would mean attacking American forces, Putin won't do it. He might cause all kinds of other trouble, but he won't send in military forces (wearing identification or not).
-Angel1

iScode Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 5:20:18

Originally posted by Servant:
These are the 2 things I would do.

1. I would negotiate and put in 2-3 military bases in former Soviet countries. Ukraine and Georgia come to mind as a starting point.

2. I would fast track and push to have built immediately at least 1 if not 2 or 3 liquified natural gas terminals to transport our fracking gas to Europe, with a strong enough supply they can stop buying Russian Gas. And push for an embargo in Russian gas.

These actions would take 3-5 years to implement, but would hit Russia hard where it counts.

no you wouldnt, you would say you want peace while secretly amassing your troops on their border and invading even though you claimed you wanted to be friends :P
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 13:51:49

Given my history?

Hmm...

Assuming that demolishing Russia completely with superior firepower isn't possible - always my preferred method of combat - I'd probably slip a small group of elite fighters in under assumed names to cause havoc when and where we could.

Though personally I like Servant's plan best of any I've seen so far.

totte Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 14:03:55

i dont see why everyone is so up in arms over this its basicly the same as the former jugoslavia states breaking away. no problem back then whats the diffrence other then its not the us supporting the break aways

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 22nd 2014, 16:03:04

There's a third part that could help also.

but it would require European support.

3. Begin systematically, attacking Russia's international investments, and slowly pulling out of investing in Russia, Russa needs the west Economically, more than the West needs Russia.

Russia has allready spent 50B of its 450B in reserves propping up the ruble against deflation this year...Enough steps hitting Russia's Billionaires (and sports teams owners of Soccer and NBA franchises), in the pocket, and hitting Russia's currency, will make a difference.

Z is #1

tellarion Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 16:37:43

Mostly agreed with Servant(as usual). I think that due to the strategic significance of the Crimean region for Russia, there is NO WAY they will give up their access to the Black Sea. That being said, their entire economic revival is dependent on selling their natural resources to Europe. Find a way to cut that off, and they're toast.

Junky Game profile

Mar 23rd 2014, 17:28:59

meh, Destroy all Acres Cremea and let Russia keep the land.
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

INVINCIBLE IRONMAN Game profile

Mar 24th 2014, 8:19:08

LOL with this bunch WW III would happen rapidly.

trumper Game profile

Mar 24th 2014, 11:53:20

Well, clearly the solution here is to simply ban a few players from ever playing in your alliance and promise to forgo some landtrading with that alliance. Undoubtedly that will stop every war.

It's not hard to second guess Obama since he really didn't do all of that much except roll over.

Atryn Game profile

Mar 24th 2014, 11:54:49

We should just trade Crimea back and forth repeatedly so we all profit from the magically created ghost acres.

Wu Game profile

Mar 24th 2014, 12:31:06

I would have hot sex with the Crimean prosecutor and declare that SOL is ranked too high.