Verified:

Donny Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 14:53:06

Anyone know about gigabyte Mbs?

So i took my CPU outside to get dust out, i used my air compressor to get it out
brought it back in and nothing happens now when i power up all the LEDs inside light up stay lit i get NO beeping or anything i disconnected everything and took the cmos battery out for 12 hrs hoping to reset it still nothing it doesnt even make it to the BIOS screen

its a
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA67A-UD4-B3
I7 Sandy Bridge 2600 OC'd to 3.8GHZ watercooled.
4x4GB GSKILL DDR5
Dual SLI NVIDIA GTX 670
Corsair TX850 PSU
2 1TB hds (shouldnt matter with this issue)

the only thing i can think of is, the moisture of the compressed air got to the MB?

I get nothing but leds watercooler and power to the GPU fans on the vid cards

any ideas?

all the LED lights at the top of the board stay lit they ususlly dont on a normal startup.

Thanks!
ICQ-105967052

Dear Asians who say they're not ninjas just because they're Asian,
That's exactly what a ninja would say.

Donny Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 14:53:42

i've also pulled out the Vid cards and ram and tried to get passed the LEDS all lit and nothing
ICQ-105967052

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 5th 2014, 15:02:04

Most likely you loosened a connection somewhere? Check all the power connections? esp the CPU specific one?

Unless you managed to actually blow a part (cap for example) loose/off somehow, though that's less likely....
Finally did the signature thing.

Donny Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:10:23

ive reconnected everything 3 or 4 times :(
ICQ-105967052

Cornfed

Jun 5th 2014, 15:11:51

It's not even posting? I'd guess your cpu isn't back in right.

Donny Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:12:03

i was using 100/160PSI so maybe . ive taken the MB out inspected it and nothing is out of shape
ICQ-105967052

bstrong86 Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:12:12

The dust was holding it together!
The Death Knights

XI

Donny Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:12:37

not even posting no. i didnt take the CPU out just the heatsink
ICQ-105967052

bstrong86 Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:14:01

You used an actual compressor? Dont they make compressed air cans for this?
The Death Knights

XI

Atryn Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:19:31

If "air compressor" = Hairdryer on Hot, you may have a problem.

Cornfed

Jun 5th 2014, 15:22:14

Wait an air compressor? not one of these? http://www.amazon.com/...p;keywords=compressed+air

mrford Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:26:29

air compressors have contaminants, mainly water, in them as the nature of their operation. unless you drain the tank after every use, it probably wasnt a good idea.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

ninong Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:28:34

Originally posted by Atryn:

If "air compressor" = Hairdryer on Hot, you may have a problem.

nah, it's built to operate in sustained temperatures higher than that of a hair dryer's. also if there'e any moister you can dry it out for a day. i have tried soaking an old motherboard in a detergent+water mix and dried it out, works great and looks very clean afterwards :)
ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

Donny Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:45:23

a porter and cable air compressor i do not keep it pressurized so the tank is empty and it is litrally brand new i unboxed it and did this the first time, i did notice when i drained the compressor that there was moisture... i purchased a new MB so when i get that well see if thats the issue, i just took the processor out found some dust particles got them out but still nothing its not even posting so.
ICQ-105967052

Donny Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 15:45:55

Originally posted by bstrong86:
You used an actual compressor? Dont they make compressed air cans for this?

they do but- air compressor has much more power i thought it would be ok...
ICQ-105967052

Symac

Jun 5th 2014, 16:16:27

You may be hosed.
You don't use air compressors for several reasons. They are too powerful. Even draining the tank or new, they still have moisture. They will blow said moisture into places that may not evaporate quickly.

You may have done a few things and there are some fixes if you have the tools.
You may have cracked a solder joint either in the process of taking off the heatsink or blowing the air. Very hard to impossible to see but you maybe able to trace it some by the lack of POST. The fix is take a hot air reflow station to it.

Broke loose a component, same fix as solder joint only add tweezers, and much easier to see. You can also use a soldering iron but you better be good at it or you will burn out other components.

Moisture added and shorted something or corrosion has began, hard to impossible to see, and the fix sucks.. To fix it you remove your components from the board and break it over your knee throw it on the ground and cuss at it for no less than 5 minutes and throw it in the garbage.

Now some will call me out for handing you a myth but I have seen too many times. As bstrong said, the dust was holding it together. For what ever reason sometimes a computer just needs it's dust to continue working. No clue why. I have heard every explanation from it was keeping some failing part at a temperature high enough it could still function to it was allowing conductivity for a broken trace or via. The fix is like the moisture, I recommend an additional few minutes of swearing and add muttering.

I will add that if it's moisture, it may just start working on it's own. Mine and my wife's laptops both have been exposed to water and started to work again. Her's she dumped a cup of hot water on, I was sure it was dead it was on at the time and powered off. It took a week of sitting but it came back and only a few things didn't work on it. So there is hope. So long as salt isn't introduced you have a chance to get more time out of it.

Edited By: Symac on Jun 5th 2014, 16:21:19
See Original Post

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Jun 5th 2014, 16:21:58

if you wanna get dust out, always use a dust brush
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 5th 2014, 20:05:27

Originally posted by LittleItaly:
if you wanna get dust out, always use a dust brush

or send microscopic mexicans in with buckets
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Trife Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 21:17:43

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 5th 2014, 22:11:53

I don't think it needs dust =/ it's more likely that it's not making a connection somewhere as a result of being pulled off...

Moisture is bad, but shouldn't affect the mobo too much, everything is coated, and the pins & etc are gold plated... if you managed to scrape or blast that off, that could be problematic, but that's also unlikely....

you actually removed the heatsink and processor though? why? =(

Does it beep? because it should still beep *even with the processor out*...

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 5th 2014, 22:16:36

are you 100% sure you plugged everything back in?

Does the fan turn on? Are the LED's on the mobo or the case? Do the fans *keep* spinning or do they stop after they start spinning?

incidentally, do you *HAVE* a Speaker attached to the speaker header? many mobos don't have onboard speakers these days you know....

When i said it should beep, what i mean is... typically without RAM or a processor, it starts *freaking out* with either continual beeps, or series of beeps -- which correspond to (common? or just in your mobo manual?) codes which mean

Scorba Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 0:06:13

I would also suspect something isn't connected quite right. I don't take the heat sink off but I have cleaned out a lot of comps with air compressors and never had that trouble. I have a comp now that if I mess with the cables at all then the power button connection comes loose so nothing happens until I get it firmly reconnected.

How much activity you get might be some sort of indicator, if lights flash at the start or do several things before getting stuck, and if the fans are running or only run for a few seconds before stopping.

If nothing else, take it completely apart, put it back together, and pray.

INVINCIBLE IRONMAN Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 4:21:24

LOL you guys should just use a sand blaster and get it over with.

Donny Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 13:01:26

ty for all the suggestions i went ahead and ordered a new MB :( cleaning my CPU cost me money :(

can i reuse the thermal compound or should i remove it and put new thermal compound i never knew if it was reuseable
ICQ-105967052

Donny Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 13:03:32

when i took the heatsink off dust must have gotten beneath the processor i took that out cleaned it to the best of my ability and still same deal- i did notice a microscopic lead/prong that goes to the processor from the MB itself a ittle out of place slightly bent i tried my best to bend it back but oh well. im really at a loss- im very intune with CPUS usually.
ICQ-105967052

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Jun 6th 2014, 13:15:21

youre not really supposed to reuse thermal paste.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Donny Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 13:20:16

kk ill grab a new tube
ICQ-105967052

Trife Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 14:43:36

PROTIP:

if you run out of thermal grease, you can use KY jelly instead

source:

just trust me i know

Rasp Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 14:45:08

Originally posted by Trife:

made me raff.
[16:18:00] znc-rasp: We can kill bushido, but not bushifo, zack, moriarty, ghost rider, or darkling
[16:18:07] Req: Is that all the same person?
[16:18:12] symba: yea
[16:18:25] mob: my kids are like dad why are you laughing so much

Marshal Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 16:25:18

which mobo did you order?
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Symac

Jun 6th 2014, 16:35:25

It sucks. Why I hate computers. Honestly the list of things that can cause this is huge. Simply moving or jostling the board could have finally caused some defect or weak solder point to go.